Sunday, September 25, 2011

Tuna Saute over Spagetti and a New Car!

So this week has been the week from.....well, you know where. Having numerous problems with my job, hit a deer with our Blazer, went to my friends funeral......plus what seems like a never-ending list of other small things that keep happening. SO glad this week is OVER!!! I'm ready for it to be better!

Well, yesterday it got better - we bought a new vehicle! 2003 Envoy XL - it's beautiful, fully loaded, has 4-wheel and all-wheel drive, 4 doors, and seats 7! It has everything we wanted and more (heated seats :)




Heated seats :-D (can you tell I'm excited about the heated seats.....lol)

So to celebrate our new car, I came up with this recipe (actually I came up with it the day before but I couldn't figure out how to transition to the recipe lol).

I wasn't sure how it would turn out.....lol......I had a recipe bomb on me a couple of days ago.....yeah that was another thing that went wrong.......ANYWAYS, this one was totally good! I bought some Anise at the market last week and I have been wanting to try it out. From what I have read about it, it is good either cooked/grilled/sauteed or raw in salads. Cooking it is supposed to mellow out the licorice-like flavor a bit, and since the hubby isn't fond of black licorice, I decided that cooking it would be the best route. I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to do though lol. I got a few ingredients out that I thought would go well together (and honestly what I had left in the fridge/pantry......) and sauteed them together - the tuna was a last minute addition and it was very good, although I think chicken breast would be equally good.

Here are the ingredients - tuna in water, anise, capers, yellow onion, garlic, EEVO (extra virgin olive oil), fresh parmesan cheese

Anise bulb with the tops and end cut off

Garlic bulb
 
 A GIGANTIC yellow onion! This is half of it!

Fresh parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste

A beautiful huge tomato from my mom's garden :)

The tops from the anise bulb - don't throw away! You can use it as a herb!

EEVO - extra virgin olive oil


Tuna Saute over Spaghetti

Ingredients:

* 1 can of tuna in water
* 1/2 cup of diced yellow onion
* 3 garlic cloves - minced
* 2 tbsp capers
* about 1/2 cup of roughly chopped anise
* 1/2 medium tomato diced
* 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
* 2 tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
* 4-5 basil leaves chopped
* salt and pepper to taste 
* 100% whole wheat spaghetti noodles

Directions:

* saute yellow onion in pan on low until soft - about 10 minutes
* add garlic, capers, and anise and turn up heat to medium for about 3 minutes until heated
* add to cooked noodles 
* add in tuna, parmesan cheese, basil, tomatoes, and salt and pepper
* garnish if you want with the "feathery" tops from the anise
* Enjoy!



As a side note we now have 2 cars for sale - a 99 Saturn for $800 and a 98 Blazer for $1800 - send me a message if interested! We spent all day today cleaning them out and washing them so we can get them out to the road. It was actually fun with the kids helping and it turned out to be a beautiful day!





No comments:

Post a Comment