Thursday, September 8, 2011

Handmade Roses and Homemade Chili

So, I had a lazy day today. I spent waayyyy too much time being obsessed with Pintrest! I also like to be obessed with both Foodgawker and Craftgawker, if you have never been to any of these websites, go now! (actually finish reading my post first lol)  Today it was all about the crafts :)

Here are a few awesome things that I found today.......



 I ABSOLUTLY love handmade rosettes! Whether it be paper, ribbon, cloth, or what-have-you - it doesn't matter - I love them! So I tried them out today :) Here are a few newspaper roses and some ribbon roses that I made. Plans are to use them for Christmas presents......I figure if I get started on them now, I might be able to finish by Christmas lol.






The newspaper roses I plan on painting.......I'm thinking white with a hint of pink? The fabric roses are glued down to the paper so they stay together, then I'm going to cut them out using a craft knife. I can them use them for whatever craft I want, like a headband with roses, picture frame, a wreath..........the list goes on  :) Maybe if anybody is interested I will post a tutorial on how to make them sometime in the future.

Along with my crafty mood today, I have also been craving everything fall related. I have pumpkin spice candles out, blankets on the couch, apple cider in the fridge, sticks from caramel apples in the garbage.......the only thing missing (besides the leaves changing color) is our fall food staple - CHILI!







I don't love chili, I like it ok, just not a favorite......unless it's fall. For some reason it just tastes better with pumpkin spice candles and cooler weather :) I have experimented with different chili recipes over the past few years, and I'm pretty sure that the chili that I made today comes out on top. It's a little bit different...........lots of beans, chili beans and lentils (I put lentils in EVERYTHING now) and I added corn this time. I usually only use turkey burger instead of red meat, however, I didn't have any on hand, instead I had bear burger. It's ok........not my favorite.........I just don't generally like red meat.  So anyways..........here's the recipe for your enjoyment :)

Homemade Chili

Ingredients:

1  28 oz can crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
1  6 oz can tomato paste
1 medium onion - diced
1 medium green pepper - diced
3 garlic cloves - minced
1 bag frozen corn or 1 can of no salt added corn
1   15 oz can chicken stock (can substitute water if you don't have any on hand)
2 cups uncooked lentils
1  15 oz can chili beans
2 bay leaves
1 lb meat - cooked - and seasoned with chili seasoning - I like to use turkey burger for less calories
pinch of salt and pepper
sour cream and/or cheddar cheese for garnish


Instructions:

1.  Mix all the ingredients (not including garnishes) in a largish crock pot and turn on low for 6-8 hours or turn on high for 3-4 hours.
2. Add your favorite toppings such as sour-cream and/or cheddar cheese
3.  Enjoy with crackers or cornbread........yummmmm cornbread.......didn't have any tonight :(


Now, I think I'm gonna go work on a knitting project that I started last year lol................


No comments:

Post a Comment